Wednesday, March 21, 2007

open ocean habitats

The video on open ocean habitats that we watched in class was very interesting. I had never really thought about the types of living conditions that occured in open ocean environments. Most videos and photographs that I had seen this semester involved the ocean floor, or coastal areas. However, I know that the oceans are cast and now I am able to see that many forms of marine life are occuring in these open areas. I especially liked the section that involved that small fish eating bacteria and such off of larger species for food, and in turn cleaning off the larger fish. It is interesting to see the way that species in the oceans work together like this. I also liked the section about fish using trash and floating debris for protection and hiding purposes. In such large, open areas, there would be few places that fish could hide. It was suprising to see that floating nets and other trash like buckets could be used to hide out in. Like the video said, trawling nets that normally destroy marine habitats can be used for protection when they are floating in the open ocean.

1 comment:

CBEMN said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed the video.
Cathy